The ranchers of the Little River Valley and the people on the hills north and south of the valley south of Trinidad formed a school district and built a one-room school about one-quarter mile from the ocean in 1899. In 1901 the teacher was Connie Wilder (or Wilden). There were thirteen primary and seven grammar school students. There were not enough desks for all of the students. The water supply was poor and there were sixty-four books in the library. The building was used until 1909 when the children went to a new school, Bulwinkle, named for a former sea captain who had a ranch at the head of the valley. Bulwinkle sold his land to a lumber company, Little River Redwood, later Hammond Lumber Company. As the lumber town grew, another new school was needed so in 1920 a four-room school was built on a hillside in the town. Platforms were built to serve as a playground.
Some of the teachers of record were: Adrian Anson, Connie Wilders, Miss Morriss, Miss Axe, Miss Gist, Katie Boyle, and John B. Brown, who later became County Superintendent of Schools. Jeanette Clough, William Morehouse and Ledo Matteoli served as administrators in later years. There was no road to the mill and town, so the people had to depend on the railroad for transportation. Between 1947 and 1950, the children were sent to Trinidad School (thus increasing the school enrollment at Trinidad School in this period).